Nurturing Healing and Wholeness In Ourselves, Between One Another, and With Life
Welcome to Sacred Grief
A center for learning, ritual and practice towards personal healing and collective change.
Sacred Grief programs are for those whose hearts are broken open by personal and collective loss. For those who are searching for grief work that is holistic, pragmatic and soul-nourishing. For those who want to cultivate embodied presence with themselves and others in the transformation that grief invites. For those who seek connection with the wider field of relations towards healing, wisdom and an invitational embrace of grief as love. And for those who desire meaningful ways to be with grief and resilience as a sacred practice towards personal and collective healing.
Sacred Grief offers three paths of learning that embrace the pragmatic and the Sacred towards resilient and loving futures.
The first path, Roots to Resiliency, offers educational programs to deepen your own grief literacy and skills. From this place, you may choose to then move towards...
The second path, Feeding the Forest, offering training programs for deepening your skills of providing grief support to others. From this place, you may choose to then deepen through....
The third path, Becoming the Mountain, a small group mentor circle to continue cultivating and refining your particular medicine in Sacred Grief work.
All programs are trauma-informed, somatics-based, anti-oppressive and rooted in animism and decolonizing values. In the sentiments of Roshi Joan Halifax, Sacred Grief is about creating a collective community that has been deeply humanized by grief.
~Our grief does not need healing. Our healing needs our grief~
Roots to Resiliency
The Roots to Resiliency learning path is focused on deepening your personal relationship to grief and resiliency. These are foundational programs nourishing the roots of embodiment, cultural awareness, ritual healing, Spirit relations, and ancestral practices in the work of grieving, and offer the groundwork towards the training path. Programs in this path include:
- Coming Back to Ourselves: Embodiment and Culture in Grieving (Spring and Fall 2022 - pre-requisite for Belonging to the World course)
- Belonging to the World: Relationship and Ritual for the Heart of Grief (Winter 2023)
- Immanence: Grounded Practices to Support your Spirit Work (Summer and Fall 2022)
Tending the Taproot
Tending the Taproot is an online portal of
practice for folks who would like to continue gathering together for
grief rituals, somatic resourcing, ancestral connection, peer support,
and soul nourishment through guest workshops, and more.
Feeding the Forest
Feeding the Forest is a training path for those who are called to companion others with dignity through difficult experiences. These programs support you in cultivating your grief support roles through therapeutic and ritual skills, trauma-informed training, and ancestral practices relevant to your own social-historical identity, gifts and affinities. Programs in this path include:
- Holding the Container: Therapeutic and Soulful Approaches to Grief Support
- Being the Anchor: Trauma-Informed Practice to Support Others in Grief
- Guided by Elders: Facilitating Grief Through Ritual
Becoming the Mountain
Becoming the Mountain is an extended mentoring path to continue apprenticing into eldership with grief, honing in on the embodiment and expression of your unique skills as a companion, ritualist and facilitator within an intimate peer-supported community.
If you are interested in keeping up to date about programs, enrollments, new offerings, podcast interviews and other Sacred Grief resources, please join the newsletter community, sent out every 2-3months.
We are the glorious manifestation of the power of the universe. We are the fingertips of the force that drives the stars, so do your job and FEEL. ~ Tanya Tagaq
A little about me
My name is Shauna Janz (she/her) and I am the founder of Sacred Grief. My ancestors are northern European from the lands of Scots Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Germanic and Nordic cultures. On my fathers side, my people are recent immigrants by way of Poland and Ukraine, and on my mothers side, my people are early colonial-settlers to Turtle Island. I am in ongoing practice
to embody and work from a place that understands my historical and
current social location as a white cis-gendered queer woman with lineages of both colonial settler and
I am a somatic intuitive who finds sacred communion through
music, dance, and nature; a practitioner of the Old Norse tradition of seiðr; and award-nominated
For over a decade I have been facilitating individual, family, organizational and community grief support & ritual, trauma-informed education, group process, and more recently,
I recognize people in their
energetic and holistic selves -
mental, emotional, physical, social, cultural, and spiritual - and as
embedded in the wider field of the other-than-human world.
For 12+ years my work was mainly focused in Victoria, British Columbia, west coast of Canada; stolen territory of the ancestral and current-day Coast Salish people. Since 2019, it has been a pleasure to extend my offerings here online. I also travel nationally and internationally to lead capacity-building for community grief support and ritual, and am in partnership with national organizations to offer trauma-informed facilitation trainings.
In the recent past I have been a trainer and mentor with BC Bereavement Helpline; and have been a teacher and mentor with Ancestral Medicine; the executive and education director with Learning Through Loss; founder of the Victoria Holistic Death Care Gatherings; and co-visionary for the annual Deathly Matters conference. To learn more about my professional background and learning lineages, please visit this page.
If you are seeking to bring capacity-building workshops to your business team, organization or community (in-person or virtual options), please visit my website and be in touch. Otherwise, please meander the offerings here, and I hope to see you. Thank you.
~ The best decision is that all grief be turned into life-promoting grief-based beauty and usefulness ~ Martin Prechtel
You cannot "fix" the world, but you can take part in its self-healing. Healing wounded relationships within you and between you is integral to the healing of our world.
~ Joanna Macy
What others are saying about Sacred Grief offerings
- Shauna is a master at holding space. It is very easy to relax and trust and drop into the process with her in the lead. She is also brilliant and highly intuitive, so her responses and guidance around questions and comments are always bang on. And that includes encouraging us to follow what feels right. She is strong on safety. And she brings lots of humor. The healing work I've been doing with her over the past year has had a huge impact on my life. Mary McAlister, The Base Healing Community
- Shauna is a gifted and balanced teacher. Her
practical, grounded yet deeply intuitive nature allowed everyone in our
group to relate to her in their own way, and she held our ritual
container with such safety and support. I feel blessed to have had her
as a leader in this work!
- Shauna was an awesome facilitator with amazing empathy, patience, intuition, and compassion. Grateful to have learned from her. Marlene Torvonen, Nanaimo Hospice
- Shauna you are a true facilitator. Thank you for your gift of space-holding, your knowledge and experience, your ability to genuinely include everyone in such a graceful and uplifting way. It was such an honor to be a part of this course, and each person contributed valuable insights; a sense of community naturally emerged. Sally Ross, Healing Practitioner
- Shauna is a master at creating a safe space in which to explore and heal the difficult emotions, those which our culture and society typically encourage us to avoid or bury. Thank you for the work you do, Shauna, it is so important. Lori Race, Mandala Health Center
- I felt instantly welcomed by Shauna's warm presence and her approach to supporting others through grief is refreshing and much needed on our society. With so many helpful takeaways, I feel more more prepared to support others. Amber Rowse-Robinson, Volunteer
- The depth of community building, vulnerability, and safe ritual container in such a short time blew me away. I learned more than imagined due to the exceptional communication skills and balance of the intuitive and cognitive. Shauna's skill as a facilitator and ritualist is unparalleled" - Ash Schoep, Climate Change & Consciousness
~ There must be those among whom we can sit down and weep, and still be counted as warriors ~ Adrienne Rich
Becoming skillful at digesting our grief makes us a source of
reassurance and stability for the wider community.
~ Francis Weller
Stay in touch and in the loop...