Nurturing Healing and Wholeness In Ourselves, Between One Another, and With Life
Welcome to Sacred Grief.
Here you will find online offerings dedicated to supporting yourself and others through difficult life experiences with dignity and resilience. Whether personal, collective or ancestral, grief is a form
of intimacy which breaks our hearts open and, when tended to with care, allows us to remain responsive and in relationship with all life around us.
Sacred Grief courses are anchored in tending our relationship with community and the Sacred as sources of support, and
in nurturing belonging within ourselves, between one another, and with our other-than-human relations.
Thank you for being here.
The best decision is that all grief be turned into life-promoting
grief-based beauty and usefulness.
~ Martin Prechtel
The heart that breaks open can contain the whole universe.
~ Joanna Macy
A little about me
My names is Shauna Janz (she/her) and I am the founder of Sacred Grief - an online school offering courses for supporting ourselves and others in healing and wholeness. My ancestors are northern European from the lands of Scots Celtic, Germanic and Nordic cultures. On my fathers side, my people are recent immigrants in the last two generations by way of Poland and Ukraine, and on my mothers side, my people are early colonial-settlers to Turtle Island.
For over a decade I have been facilitating individual, family and community grief support & ritual, trauma-informed education, group process, and more recently, ancestral re-connection and healing. My work has mostly been focused in my local community of Victoria, British Columbia, on the west coast of Canada; unceded territory of the ancestral and current-day Coast Salish peoples . I also travel internationally to lead capacity-building trainings for community grief support and ritual.
It is a pleasure to now be extending my offerings here online.
More classes and courses will continue to be added, so I invite you to enroll in the school to be updated when this happens.
I am also a trainer with BC Bereavement Helpline; and have been a teacher with Ancestral Medicine; the education director with Learning Through Loss, founder of the Victoria Holistic Death Care Gatherings, and co-visionary for the annual Deathly Matters conference. I am a somatic intuitive who finds sacred communion through
music, dance, and singing; a practitioner of the Old Norse magical
tradition of Seidr; and award-nominated
singer-songwriter. If you would like the unabridged version about me, my personal and professional background, and why I do what I do, visit me here.
If you are seeking individual sessions for grief support, ancestral lineage healing, or mentorship, or you would like to explore bringing an in-person training to your community or organization, please visit my website to learn about my other offerings and be in touch.
Becoming skillful at digesting our grief makes us a source of
reassurance and stability for the wider community.
~ Francis Weller
Ethics of my offerings
Whether supporting individuals and families, facilitating community rituals, or designing and delivering programs, I recognize people in their energetic and holistic selves - mental, emotional, physical, social, cultural, and spiritual - and as embedded in the wider field of the other-than-human world. I strive to embody and work from a place that understands my own historical and current privileged social location as a cis-gendered queer woman of northern European ancestry with lineages of both colonial settler and refugee experiences.
acknowledge the ongoing impacts of colonialism, racism, sexism, earth
disconnection, and other cultural wounds that work to erase the
diversity and dignity of human and other-than-human experiences and
expression. My work and offerings are trauma-informed and anchored in
the resiliency of the human spirit, healing justice and animist values.
You cannot "fix" the world, but you can take part in its self-healing. Healing wounded relationships within you and between you is integral to the healing of our world.
~ Joanna Macy
What others are saying about Sacred Grief offerings
- Shauna is a master at holding space. It is very easy to relax and trust and drop into the process with her in the lead. She is also brilliant and highly intuitive, so her responses and guidance around questions and comments are always bang on. And that includes encouraging us to follow what feels right. She is strong on safety. And she brings lots of humor. The healing work I've been doing with her over the past year has had a huge impact on my life. Mary McAlister, The Base Healing Community
- Shauna is a gifted and balanced teacher. Her
practical, grounded yet deeply intuitive nature allowed everyone in our
group to relate to her in their own way, and she held our ritual
container with such safety and support. I feel blessed to have had her
as a leader in this work!
- Shauna was an awesome facilitator with amazing empathy, patience, intuition, and compassion. Grateful to have learned from her. Marlene Torvonen, Nanaimo Hospice
- Shauna you are a true facilitator. Thank you for your gift of space-holding, your knowledge and experience, your ability to genuinely include everyone in such a graceful and uplifting way. It was such an honor to be a part of this course, and each person contributed valuable insights; a sense of community naturally emerged. Sally Ross, Healing Practitioner
- Shauna is a master at creating a safe space in which to explore and heal the difficult emotions, those which our culture and society typically encourage us to avoid or bury. Thank you for the work you do, Shauna, it is so important. Lori Race, Mandala Health Center
- I felt instantly welcomed by Shauna's warm presence and her approach to supporting others through grief is refreshing and much needed on our society. With so many helpful takeaways, I feel more more prepared to support others. Amber Rowse-Robinson, Volunteer
- The depth of community building, vulnerability, and safe ritual container in such a short time blew me away. I learned more than imagined due to the exceptional communication skills and balance of the intuitive and cognitive. Shauna's skill as a facilitator and ritualist is unparalleled" - Ash Schoep, Climate Change & Consciousness